Summer is finally almost here and you’re ready to enjoy the fruits of your hard labor. What better way than to take an extended vacation? However, before jet setting, you’ll need to properly stow your classic vehicle to prevent damage while you’re away. In addition to obtaining a sound Augusta Classic Car Insurance policy, heed the following advice for storing your high value investment.
- Fill up the gas tank all the way. If it’s almost full, just top it off. This will prevent condensation from forming over the next few weeks.
- Increase the tire pressure by 2-5 PSI. This will make sure any air lost won’t have damaging effects on the tires.
- Hagerty states to change the oil and filter- old lubricants become acidic and will etch the soft surfaces of the crank, rod, or cam bearings, so it is essential to store the motor with a fill of fresh oil. Next, run the engine long enough to have the oil circulate and coat the tank to replace the old oil.
- Cover it. It’s best to store it in a garage for the time you’re away to prevent any moisture build up or rusting. However, if you don’t have the room, put a high-quality cover over it. Avoid waterproof covers as they can trap moisture between the vehicle and the cover and damage the paint, says the article.
- Avoid using the parking brake. Instead, use cinder blocks or wheel chocks to keep it in place.
When followed meticulously, these tips can ensure that your classic car remains in optimal condition year round, even in your absence. At Tri-State Insurance Agency, we offer custom tailored insurance policies that are crafted with you in mind. With over 60 years of experience, we have a deep understanding of the insurance industry and the necessary protections your classic car needs. To learn more, contact us today at (888) 990-0526.