Homeowners, contractors, and workers are injured every year in residential construction projects. Construction businesses should be clear on their responsibilities and protection standards by obtaining residential construction insurance, as well and taking the right preventative measures. Promoting and improving the general health and wellness of laborers can be accomplished through a variety of initiatives.
Require that only ladders in good condition can be used — no broken rungs. Ladders should be set one foot from the base of the wall for every 4 feet in height and should reach three feet over the top of the desired height. Use hoists or belts to carry material up or down. Never allow working at heights in bad weather.
Nail Gun Injuries
Nail guns shoot nails into wood at high pressure, but they can also shoot you or others. Accidental firing has been known to put nails in eyes, feet, hands, and even skulls.
Avoid nail gun injuries by:
- Using single sequence guns. Multi-sequence nail guns allow multiple nails to be shot after the safety trigger has been pressed and drastically increases the risk of injury.
- Never disabling the safety mechanisms.
- Not holding the trigger while carrying the gun.
- Working in a comfortable position with your hand away from the insertion point.
- Using a hammer when a nail gun can’t be used safely.
Both new construction and remodeling can produce unhealthy dusts such as lead, asbestos, and silica. Lead paint was used in over 38 million homes before it was banned in 1978. Sanding painted surfaces can release toxic lead dust.
Only licensed professionals should remove asbestos material. Concrete cutting or grinding may produce silica dust that can damage your lungs. Prevent toxic dust inhalation by:
- Using water or vacuum-attached tools to keep down dust.
- Using appropriate respiratory protection such as a dust mask or respirator.
- Vacuuming instead of sweeping.
Construction businesses carry unique risks. Workers in this industry have the right to:
- Working conditions that do not pose a risk of serious harm.
- Receive information and training about workplace hazards and methods to prevent them.
- Review records of work-related injuries and illnesses.
- File a complaint if they believe there is a serious hazard or that their employer is not following legal guidelines.
- Exercise their rights under the law without retaliation, including reporting an injury or raising health and safety concerns.
It is not worth the risks. It is in your best interest to secure residential construction insurance and implement safety practices immediately.
About SB One Insurance Agency
At SB One Insurance Agency, we have served the businesses and residents of New Jersey, New York and Pennsylvania for more than 65 years. We are a wholly owned subsidiary of Provident Bank, the region’s premier banking institution, and we are prepared to offer you personal, business, employee benefit, and risk management solutions. To learn more about our coverage options, contact our specialists today at (888) 990-0526.