Are you planning on heading out for a much-needed vacation in the near future? If so, you’ll want to work through a core Pre-Vacation Checklist first to make sure your home is safe and secure during your absence. Even if you already have comprehensive Augusta Homeowners Insurance in place, there are several steps you can take to prepare your house before a trip and help ensure it stays clean and safe. Here’s what you can do to prep your home before jetting off on vacation.
Do a Deep Clean, Organize Your Space and Get Rid of Old Food
One item that should be at the top of your pre-departure list no matter what is deep-cleaning the house. Although you may need to set aside a few hours on the weekend for some extra cleaning, this step can help you avoid mold or infestation problems while you’re gone and, as a bonus, can help ensure that you return to a pleasant environment Make sure to clear out any clutter and organize the space, go through the fridge to get rid of old food that could spoil and take out the trash.
Turn Down the Thermostat, Turn On Alarms and Activate Light Timers
Making sure all of your alarm systems are working and that your house is an appropriate temperature before heading off can help avoid unexpected disasters. Prior to leaving, make sure you:
- Put your house lights on timers to help deter burglary and potential break-ins
- Check that your fire alarm, smoke detector and carbon monoxide detector are functioning properly
- Turn down the thermostat to avoid wasting money on heating, while ensuring that the temperature is high enough to avoid burst pipes in the colder seasons
Ensure All Entryways Are Secured and Ask a Neighbor To Check In Occasionally
Finally, keeping all potential points of entry to your home secure is critical in avoiding break-ins. You may also find it helpful to ask someone you trust to occasionally check that all is well at your house. For additional safety measures, you should:
- Make sure all windows are closed and locked
- Ensure all doors and other entryways are secured
- Consider turning on an alarm system that notifies police automatically in the event of a break-in
- Ask a neighbor or trusted friend or family member to check in on the house for you occasionally
- Consider hiring help to mow your lawn, water your plants or clean your home while you’re gone
Although having Augusta Homeowners Insurance is an important step in keeping your home secure, leaving on vacation for a while may require a little extra preparation. Thankfully, you can help keep your home safe simply by working through this quick checklist prior to your departure. Make sure to deep clean your home, secure all entryways and activate any and all alarms to help ensure your house stays clean, safe and in one piece during your absence.
About SB One Insurance Agency
At SB One Insurance Agency, we have served the businesses and residents of New Jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania for more than 60 years. We are a wholly-owned subsidiary of SB One Bank, the region’s premier banking institution, and we are prepared to offer you personal, business, employee benefits, and risk management solutions. To learn more about our coverage options, contact our specialists today at (888) 990-0526.